Website Aids – NaNo Edition
Nano is here again. The site is up and ready for new sign ups. I realize not every writer is participating but below are a few sites and software suggested by NaNo participants:
1. Speech Accent Archive – want to compare the accents of different English speakers? This site will help you learn how each sounds by reading the same paragraph to display the variety of accents.
2. Write or Die – if you’re having problems with distractions and need that extra boost, this web application may be for you. It encourages you to write by punishing you when you tried to avoid it. Set it to Kamikaze mode and your work will erase itself if you stop writing. Good for keeping deadlines and working in time limits.
3. Temptation Blocker – this is software that allows you to lock yourself out of specific applications for a certain amount of time.
4. 250 Ways to Say Said – this is a photo on Photobucket which lists 250 words to replace the word “said”. Plenty of choices if you need another word.
5. Synonyms for Common Words – a list of good synonyms for commonly used words.
6. House Plans – for your description needs.
7. Map Generator – this freeware is great for mapping out cities or towns for your stories. It’s main use is for RPGs but can be used for novels as well.
8. Fake Name Generator – gives you a fake name, address, phone number, website, SSN, etc.
9. Paperback Writer Freeware & Online Tools – a list of different freeware and resource tools for writers.
10. Plot Bank – good site if you’re needing a plot twist or help with writer’s block.