Website Aids – NaNo Edition
Nano has begun. I realize not every writer is participating but below are a few sites and software suggested by NaNo participants:
1. Rolling Benchmark – It updates in real time. Every time you load the page, you get your new total word count requirement.
2. Write or Die – if you’re having problems with distractions and need that extra boost, this web application may be for you. It encourages you to write by punishing you when you tried to avoid it. Set it to Kamikaze mode and your work will erase itself if you stop writing. Good for keeping deadlines and working in time limits.
3. Temptation Blocker – this is software that allows you to lock yourself out of specific applications for a certain amount of time.
4. Time Glider – is a web-based time line generator great for history classes, project planning, or plotting a time line for your story. It’s like Google Maps, but for time.
5. NaNoWriMo Wallpapers and Calendars – another somethings special made by participants to help motivate you or add something pretty to your desktop/lop.
6. Weather Generator – a generator that provides detailed weather conditions. Maybe most useful for you fantasy writers.
7. Dropbox – allows you to access your files from any computer. Update a file on one computer, it will automatically update it on any other computer you have linked to your dropbox account. Free backup.
8. NaNoWriMo Progress Charts and Spreadsheets – these are created by participants and made available for anyone to use to help stay on track.
9. Panlexicon – a website I created to help writers find (or recall) the perfect word more quickly (and hopefully more easily) than your standard thesaurus. Instead of using a list, it creates a word-cloud that you can use to “drill-down” from general synonyms/related words to more specific and unique ones.
10. Plot Bank – good site if you’re needing a plot twist or help with writer’s block.